/bɪ ə gʊd gɜ:l/ n. moniker of she who blogs here [also known as, bie]; adj. personal awesome advice to all female kiddos

meet the fam #thechennies

meet the fam #thechennies

, , ,

A Slice of Hong Kong

It seems like forever since I've blogged. My last post was in April! Since then, I've taken on more writing jobs, celebrated a whole lot of weddings (even doing the massive prep for my sister's) and gone to Hong Kong for a vacay. And of course, we've moved back to our own place and in the midst of all the excitement (packing! new furniture! reorganising! painting!), I got dengue. It seems like I just keep sleeping but never seem to feel rested. Well, at least the itch is mostly gone - grateful for small mercies!

While I'm sorting out the rest of my life and trying to feel alive again, here's a short post on a selection of what we ate in Hong Kong. Food's always a winner in our books, although my appetite has truly hit rock bottom with my lingering illness... Maybe this will whet it!

Hui Lau Shan
We love mangoes so how can pass up Hui Lau Shan in HK? Usually I have one a day but not with the girls. Too heaty! ;)

Bielet and Bieny only wanted the mangoes so ZX and I had everything else. The durian ice cream wasn't as good as we hoped though.

She couldn't wait to tuck in!

Yee Shun Milk Company
Supposedly one of the best cha chaan teng in HK, we got a whiff of their infamous service too. Bielet entertained herself by doodling on our order chit, and ZX got a earful at the counter when he settled our bill because we apparently screwed up their accounting (yes, they file the order chits). Too bad we never went back to try their milk custard - we heard good things about it! 



Hing Kee Claypot Rice
Despite the rundown insides of this eatery and bad lighting (which made for bad photos), the claypot rice was da bomb. It would have tasted even better if we drowned it in sauce but we couldn't, the girls' sodium levels would have reached next year's. We had chicken with chinese sausage, and chicken with mushroom. YUM 




The Kowloon Diary Co
Right, so this ain't an eatery per se, but everyone was telling me to try this milk. Um, it didn't make me a milk convert but the chocolate milk was real good. 


Tsui Wah Restaurant
Luckily for us, our hotel was right next to an MTR station and also a branch of this restaurant. We had one of our best breakfasts here. The girls loved the fishball noodles (me too - it didn't taste at all fishy although it did smell fishy, and the texture was nice and QQ) while I hit the jackpot with the macaroni and milk tea. It's my go-to place for comfort food, I never leave disappointed.




Bielet and Bieny love anything fishball!

City Hall Maxim's Palace
We were in the area and decided to have our dim sum fix here again. Maxim's is one of the best restaurant chains in HK, and this dim sum restaurant is really popular. The last time we came here with Bielet, we waited more than an hour. This time though, we got lucky and arrived just before closing so there was absolutely no queue! The dim sum trolley aunties weren't refilling though, so we just grabbed everything on sight.


The girls were famished by then and polished off their dim sum.





This tofu pudding was Bieny's pick - because she was teething really bad and could only eat the softest food. We left the whole bowl for the poor darling!



The view is spectacular!

This place is usually packed to the brim. This was towards the end of service and it was just half full.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co
Given the many restaurants and eateries at the Peak, this was an unusual choice but we decided to go for a Western option. And if you've watched Forrest Gump, you would know this eatery. 


We ordered this to share and was a little taken back that the portion was minuscule!

A huge portion of butter broccoli for the girls (their fave veg other than corn). The service staff also allowed us to order a bowl of clam chowder, which is actually only available as a set, because Bieny was having really bad teething pains and couldn't eat anything else. Poor baby.

I didn't see the point of heading to the observatory since we've been to the Peak before, and the lights would just look the same to the girls. So this is our cheapskate way of getting a photo with a view HAHAHA



Australia Dairy Co.
Another place which we have heard nothing but good things - and the infamous queue. I reckon it takes about an hour at the very least to step inside this joint, so we beat it by dabao-ing. No ambience but we just wanted to fill our tummies, so there, we got our food in 10 minutes! The milk custard was superb (and I don't even like milk custard).


Kum Wah Cafe
We came here for the polo bun, but the service staff looked really unhappy that FOUR of us were just having ONE bun so we ended up ordering the world's most salty plate of noodles. I didn't think the bun was anything special, but perhaps my tastebuds got killed by the noodles. 


Hong Kong Disneyland
The highlight of our trip! I'm a super Disney fan, and I managed to convert both girls too (not difficult actually).  

The service was impeccable and we got a nice family shot at our lunch spot, Main Street Corner Cafe, which we selected as the queue wasn't too long and it was right by the parade route. Score!

I love the mickey-shaped foods. I wonder if I can get the cutters to make our own here? Anyway, we chose the softest foods so here's a fish fillet with mash potato. You can't get any softer than that!

Since Bieny loves mushroom soup, we got a cup of that too.

And just to be on the safe side, we got a lasagna dish too!

I'm not sure whether it was Disneyland or if the food was really that good, but Bieny polished everything up - including this trio of sorbets.

This young lady was really sweet to Bielet and gave her drawing/quiz materials (and the answers!) 

When ZX and Bielet went to check out the parade, Bieny and I busied ourselves taking photos!

Mickey waffle for dinner! (We ate other ordinary stuff too, but not photo-worthy haha)

We saw these Baymax buns in the pamphlet and purposefully went to dabao it from the hotel restaurant (it's not sold at the park). It was incredibly expensive for such a small pair of buns, but the girls were really happy with it. 

That caps off our food portion! I still have a tonne of posts that I never did update, but it seems so out of date now. Let's see, maybe I need a fresh start...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

archives