/bɪ ə gʊd gɜ:l/ n. moniker of she who blogs here [also known as, bie]; adj. personal awesome advice to all female kiddos

meet the fam #thechennies

meet the fam #thechennies

, ,

Learning Colours With Bieny!

Bieny is already 2yo - such a big girl - but I feel like I haven't spent as much time playing and teaching her as I did Bielet. Of course, I feel similarly like I should spend more efforts on Bielet too. Sheesh, what happens when you have two kids.

I used to read a lot to Bielet and taught her all her alphabets, numbers, colours, animal sounds etcetc. She might have been really shy in school but at least she knew what was going on. Bieny, though, speaks well, is really good with her numbers and has her streetsmarts in place, but her basics are in shambles. Her favourite reply to me when I ask her anything about colours or animal sounds is, "Don't know!" With an accompanying gleeful grin somemore. -___-"

Since we're back home and I have a more fixed schedule now, I'm trying to start each day with more fruitful activities for the wee one. Like, learning her colours! I played this game with Bielet when she was younger and it seems like Bieny enjoys it too yay!

You'll need a colour chart and colour coordinated toys (we use whatever's around the house).

1. Pick and choose various coloured toys to place in a tray. Lego blocks work really well for this game because the pieces are so brightly coloured! It also helps to have a wide surface (as opposed to a narrow box) for better visual clarity.

I got this book of A5 sized basics charts from Times bookstore - think those nursery wall charts but more conveniently sized. 

2. Start by picking out each toy and get your child to match the right colours, eg "Where does this red bus go?" By doing this, I hope that she learns colours as well as what the toy/object is.

Sorting her red and yellow buses.

3. Cheer her on when she gets the right colours!

Bieny was really pleased to have done her Tayo and friends buses right (Gani, the red bus, moved forward by the time this picture was snapped!) Thanks again for the buses, Godma Emm and Uncle James!

4. After she gains the confidence to match independently, get her to choose her own toys from the tray to match. I still helped by saying out the colours (that's the point of this game innit), eg "Oh, you chose the purple grapes. Where's the purple box?"

Success! She mixed up the first few oranges and reds, but realised it soon enough. Given the size of the chart, I chose only 3 toys per colour for her to match (the same span of her attention too, actually). She got really upset that I used her pink rubberband for the game so I had to tie her hair up, hence her pink box only has 2 toys! 
*Sorry about the mess in the background, we aren't properly packed yet...*

I play a similar game of getting her to match shapes to pictures (in books or cards), and it's working for now. How do you teach your child to learn her basics?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

archives